Monday, December 17, 2007

McSick

Do you ever find yourself kinda sick after you finish something that you ordered from McDonalds? It's a particular kind of sick, which I can only relate as being a feeling similar to ingesting an old sweat sock that has been fried in bacon grease, and then waiting for about 5 minutes. I call it 'the McSick'. It doesn't seem to matter what I order, about five minutes later I always feel the same, which makes me wonder why I ever go to McDonalds in the first place. Oh, the fries are ok I guess, the service is usually ok, but why on earth someone would choose to go there as opposed to simply 'ending up' there is beyond me. They have started a suggestive selling campaign out here too, which I find particularly annoying. It usually goes something like this:

Metal Box: 'Welcome to McDonalds, would you like to try one of our McSuper McValue meals today?'
Me: 'No thankyou, could I please get a sweat sock with some fries and a large diet coke?'
Metal Box: 'Certainly! Would you like to add a couple of our McFried Apple McTurnovers to your McMeal? They're only a dollar on our 'What's McNew McValue McMenu'!
Me: ...McNo?
Metal Box: Thankyou, drive through!

I do find it funny that McDonalds has been trying to branch out with new menu items in an effort to stay in the public eye as a fresh and exciting place to visit though. There are, after all, only so many ways to sell hamburger (I question the spelling, as I have never managed to fry a hamburger at home and have it turn out grey - that's a neat trick), chicken parts, and french fries. It's bound to get old-hat sooner or later unless you get creative with the marketing. It's all about creating the most buzz with the least amount of capital expended, right? How about making a new McVick? 'McDonalds is doing their part to help with the unwanted pet population. . .' Nah, that probably wouldn't fly. . .

No comments: