Friday, December 21, 2007

The songs

Updated 7/1/2010:

I just linked a few parody songs that I made over there to the right. They were lots of fun to do, and I hope you like them.

'Glamorous' is my first ever attempt at a parody song, I think the underlying commentary is pretty clear, so I won't bother going into detail about what it means to me. This song was not, I should stress, directed at Fergie or any other artist in particular.

'Hey There Vagina' is obviously a 'Hey There Delilah' parody. This is my personal ode to the most sacred and sought after of human orifices. If you've never heard the original, then this will sound pointlessly and painfully juvenile. I'm just having some fun though the eyes of my 12-year old self. In my living room. With the lights on.

'Bubbling' was a heat-of-the-moment knee-jerk reaction to the original song being so damn cheerful. It turned out okay, so I decided to post it up.

'Imagine' I took a lot of crap for, because some people made the assumption that I was making fun of John Lennon, when in reality I kinda like his work. I'm more just using that song as a platform for minor hilarity because it seems to lend itself so well to the cause. Hey, you imagine what you want, and I'll imagine what I want.

'Before She Eats' was not a great performance, and was also quite a s t r e t c h for me, vocally speaking - and I'll be the first to admit it. It is what it is, and if you like it great. If it hurts your ears, just move on to the next song and accept my apologies. :)

'Man, I Feel Like a Woman' is obviously a parody of the song made famous by Shania Twain. When the girls go out, the guys get left with the kids obviously. This was a little attempt to capture that flip-side of the equation there. . .

'Casey's Palm' is a parody of Stacy's Mom, as made famous by Fountains of Wayne. Would it be wrong to include two songs about whacking off on an album?

Let's see, what else can I say about them.. Hmmmmm.. They were recorded at home on a Dell laptop, using either a Studio Projects C-1 or a Sennheiser 865 microphone - both of which are fairly low grade, but seem to get the job done. Some guitar work included an SM57 as well. For 'Man, I Feel Like a Woman' and 'Casey's Palm' I used a new MA-200, and slammed it through a Distressor (I've been upgrading, lately). This produces a noticable sound quality difference between those songs and, say, Hey There Vagina. That sound at the very end of 'Hey There Vagina' is my butt sliding off the couch where I was sitting while singing, and had nothing to do with a zipper in any way - as someone has already accused it of being just that.

The album is now entirely written, and includes parodies of Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Eminem, Rhianna, Katy Perry, Billy Joel, Elton John, and a slew of others. It's just a matter of finding the time to practice and record everything. :)

Anyway, hope you enjoy the songs, and cheers!

No comments: